Michel Bouvier, Ph.D., FCAHS
- Chief Executive Office, IRIC
- Principal Investigator, Molecular Pharmacology research unit, IRIC
- Chief Executive Officer, IRICoR (IRIC-Research commercialization)
- Professor, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Medicine, Faculty of Medicine, Université de Montréal
- Director, Groupe de recherche universitaire sur le médicament, Université de Montréal
Research topic and relevance
Michel Bouvier and his team study G-protein coupled receptors (GPCRs), a family of proteins which play a key role in the regulation of biological processes as diverse as neurotransmission, metabolism, cell growth, immune and inflammatory responses, olfaction and vision. GPCRs are the targets for almost half of the prescription drugs and remain a target of choice when developing new medications. A better understanding of these receptors would make it possible to improve many existing drugs, as well as develop new, more effective medications in many clinical fields and in particular for cancer treatment.