Submitting your application
for a Master’s or Ph.D. program - Recruitment event
2023 Student Recruitment Event
Next edition: June 7 to 9, 2023
Deadline to apply: March 6, 2023, 10 a.m. (Montreal time)
The IRIC Student Recruitment Event offers students the opportunity to learn more about IRIC, its research units, laboratories and scientific platforms. It is also an occasion to meet the Principal Investigators and students during networking activities, learn about the various study programs offered and participate in two days of one-on-one interviews with researchers.
Following the event, certain participants will receive a recruitment offer from one or several Investigators. Those offers will be valid from Fall 2023 to Fall 2024.
Deadline to submit your application: Monday March 6, 2023, 10AM (Montreal time).
The 2023 edition of the recruitment competition will take place from June 7 to 9, 2023 at IRIC on the Université de Montréal campus.
Students will be welcome on Tuesday June 6 in the afternoon followed by 3 days of visits and interviews.
Reimbursement of travel (up to CAN $ 600), hotel accommodation for 4 nights on the Université de Montréal campus, meals and a STM Access Card valid for 3 consecutive days of unlimited travel through the Montreal public transit system will be included for all participants.
Recruited students benefit from competitive scholarship throughout their training, CAN $ 23,370 per year for a master’s degree and CAN $ 25,578 per year for a Ph.D.
- Demonstrate strong interest in undertaking graduate studies in the field of cancer research;
- Have successfully completed or be enrolled full-time in a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree program (Master’s 1/Master’s 2) related to life sciences or biomedical research;
- Have maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.3 (70%, B, 12 out of 20, or the equivalent) for Master’s candidates, and 3.3 out of 4.3 (75%, B+, or 13 out of 20, or the equivalent) for Ph.D. candidates;
- Be ready to begin graduate studies in Fall 2023, Winter 2024, Summer 2024 or Fall 2024 for Canadian students or permanent residents of Canada, and in Winter 2024, Summer 2024 or Fall 2024 for international students.
Preparing your application
To be considered complete in French or in English, an application package must include the following documents:
- Your profile and application form, duly completed on IRIC’s Academic Affairs portal;
- A letter of intent describing :
- your academic background and previous research experience,
- your scientific interests and your desire to pursue graduate studies in the field of cancer research,
- your academic and career goals,
- the names of the Investigators with whom you would like to pursue your studies and the reasons for your choice, and
- the reasons for taking part in the activities surrounding your recruitment visit to IRIC;
- All of your official university transcripts (unofficial copies accepted);
- Your résumé (CV);
- A presentation video (1 to 2 minute long, elevator pitch) in MP4, MOV, WMV or AVI format. The name of the video must be Lastname_Firstname and it must be sent to us by WeTransfer by email (firstname.lastname@example.org);
- Two letters of recommendation from professors or others who can attest to the quality of your academic achievement including, if applicable, any research experience you may have. These letters are optional for Master’s applicants – but required for Ph.D. applicants – and must be forwarded confidentially, by email, (email@example.com), directly by their author.
Evaluation of applications
Applications will be evaluated by a selection committee made up of members of the Office of Academic Affairs and IRIC Principal Investigators. The evaluation of applications will take into account the possible impact that COVID-19 may have had on your academic record (university achievements and research experience).
Results will be announced in late April 2022. All applicants, selected for the event of not, will be contacted by the Office of Academic Affairs. The applicants retained will receive an official invitation, including all of the details related to the event.
Take part in one of our virtual information sessions to learn all about the Recruitment Event:
Tuesday, January 24, 2023, 3 pm (Montreal time) – In English
Monday February 6, 9 am (Montreal time) – In English
Monday February 6, 2023, 1 pm (Montreal time) – In French
Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 9 am (Montreal time) – In French
Wednesday, February 22, 2023, 1 pm (Montreal time) – In English
For more information about recruitment, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs:
firstname.lastname@example.org By telephone: 1-514-343-5797