Submitting your application
for IRIC Next Generation Awards Program
Deadline to apply: December 5, 2022, 9AM (Montreal time)
IRIC Next Generation Awards Program is seeking Bachelor’s degree students interested in biomedical research. This program provides students with an opportunity to receive a competitive scholarship and research internship at IRIC.
See the research projects offered in 2023
12 to 16 weeks (35 hours/week)
Internship start and end dates are left to the discretion of the awardees and their supervisor.
Value of awards
$4,800 – 12-week internship
$6,400 – 16-week internship
Several fascinating and innovative research projects with various cancer-related themes are offered:
- Cell Signalling and Protein Dynamics
- Cell Division and Migration
- Immunology and Hematopoiesis
- Genomics and Epigenetics
- Chemical and Structural Biology
- Targeted Therapies and Diagnostics
- Computational Analysis and Modelling
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada or holder of a valid study permit in Canada for the entire duration of the internship and valid for working in the health service field
- Demonstrate a strong interest in cancer research and in pursuing graduate studies in the field of biomedical research
- Have maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.3 (70%, B, or the equivalent) in an undergraduate program in a field related to life sciences or biomedical research
- Be enrolled full-time in 2nd, 3rd and 4th year in an undergraduate program in a field related to the research projects selected at the deadline application date, as well as for Winter, Summer and Fall 2023 (in case you are selected, proof of registration will have to be provided)
- According to the internal rules of the University of Montreal, the lump sum could be awarded in the form of a prize.
- Never have received an IRIC Next Generation Award
Preparing your application
To be considered complete, your application package, in English or in French, must contain the following documents:
- Your updated profile and the application form on IRIC Academic Affairs portal, here;
- A letter of intent (max 2 pages, 1.5 line spacing) describing:
- Your academic background and previous research experience
- Your interest in cancer research and in pursuing graduate studies,
- Your academic and career goals
- How this summer internship will benefit you on a personal, academic and professional level
- The names of the Investigators offering the five internship projects selected and the reasons behind this selection;
- All of your university transcripts showing your cumulative average (digitalized and/or unofficial copies accepted;
- Your résumé (CV);
- Optional document: a letter of recommendation from a professor or other who can attest to the quality of your academic achievement including, if applicable, any research experience you may have. This letter must be forwarded to us confidentially, by email, (firstname.lastname@example.org), directly by its author.
Evaluation of applications
The application packages will be evaluated by a selection committee made up of members of the Office of Academic Affairs and IRIC Principal Investigators.
The evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Interest in cancer research
- Desire to pursue graduate studies in a field related to biomedical research
- Quality of the letter of intent
- Quality of the academic record
Application packages accepted by the selection committee are sent to the Investigators who select the candidates retained for an interview (in person, by telephone or by videoconference). The results will be announced in February of 2023. All applicants, selected for this award or not, will be contacted by email by the Office of Academic Affairs.
Transportation and accommodations
IRIC Next Generation Awards Program does not cover travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the winners during their internship at IRIC.
Le Service des Résidences de l’Université de Montréal (Université de Montréal Residence Services) does however offer students the opportunity to rent fully-renovated studio apartments at affordable prices.
Virtual Information Sessions (no registration needed)
Wednesday, November 9, 12 p.m. (EST) > Click here (in English)
Thursday, November 10, 12 p.m. (EST) > Click here (In French)
For more information about the program, please contact the Office of Academic Affairs:
email@example.com By telephone: 1-514-343-5797