Submitting your application for IRIC Next Generation Competition
Opening of the IRIC Next Generation Competition: End of September 2023
Deadline to apply: December 4, 2023, 9:00 AM (Eastern time)
IRIC Next Generation Competition is seeking Bachelor’s degree students interested in life sciences research. This program offers students the opportunity to receive funding to complete a research internship at IRIC.
12 to 16 weeks (35 hours/week)
Internship start and end dates are left to the discretion of the awardees and their supervisor.
Value of the funding
$5,316 – 12-week internship
$7,088 – 16-week internship
Several fascinating and innovative research projects with various life sciences-related themes are offered:
- Cell Signalling and Protein Dynamics
- Cell Division and Migration
- Immunology and Hematopoiesis
- Genomics and Epigenetics
- Chemical and Structural Biology
- Targeted Therapies and Diagnostics
- Computational Analysis and Modelling
- Be a Canadian citizen or a permanent resident of Canada or holder of a valid study permit in Canada for the entire duration of the internship and valid for working in the health service field
- Demonstrate a strong interest in research and in pursuing graduate studies in life sciences
- Have maintained a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 out of 4.3 (70%, B, or the equivalent) in an undergraduate program in STEM (Sciences, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics)
- Be enrolled full-time and plan to finish between April 2024 and August 2026 in an undergraduate program in a field related to the research projects selected at the deadline application date
- In case you are selected, you must provide a proof of registration for Winter 2024 as well as for Summer or Fall 2024
- According to the internal rules of the University of Montreal, the lump sum could be awarded in the form of a prize or a scholarship.
- Never have received an IRIC Next Generation Competition.
Preparing your application
To be considered complete, your application package, in English or in French, must contain the following documents:
- Your updated profile and the application form on IRIC Academic Affairs portal;
- A letter of intent (max 2 pages, 1.5 line spacing) describing:
- Your academic background and previous research experience
- Your interest in life sceinces research and in pursuing graduate studies,
- Your academic and career goals
- How this summer internship will benefit you on a personal, academic and professional level
- The names of the Investigators offering the internship projects selected and the reasons behind this selection (maximum of five);
- All of your university transcripts showing your cumulative average (digitalized and/or unofficial copies accepted;
- Your résumé (CV);
- Optional document: a letter of recommendation from a professor or other who can attest to the quality of your academic achievement including, if applicable, any research experience you may have. This letter must be forwarded to us confidentially, by email, (firstname.lastname@example.org), directly by its author.
Evaluation of applications
The application packages will be evaluated by a selection committee made up of members of the Office of Academic Affairs and IRIC Principal Investigators.
The evaluation will be based on the following criteria:
- Interest in research
- Desire to pursue graduate studies in a field related to life sciences research
- Quality of the letter of intent
- Quality of the academic record
Application packages accepted by the selection committee are sent to the Investigators who select the candidates retained for an interview (in person, by telephone or by videoconference). The results will be announced in February of 2024. All applicants, selected for this competition or not, will be contacted by email by the Office of Academic Affairs.
Transportation and accommodations
IRIC Next Generation Competition does not cover travel and accommodation expenses incurred by the winners during their internship at IRIC.
Le Service des Résidences de l’Université de Montréal (Université de Montréal Residence Services) does however offer students the opportunity to rent fully-renovated studio apartments at affordable prices.